Rara Trek with Khaptad National Park : Overview
This extraordinary trek takes you from Rara Lake, Nepal’s biggest lake, to Khaptad National Park, a hidden gem in Far West Nepal. The serenely beautiful Rara Lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and thick pine forests. It is a stunning sight, especially on a still day when the mountains and clouds reflect in the tranquil waters. Khaptad offers you a beautiful variety of landscapes, with rolling green hills, moorlands, steep slopes and streams. 567 species of flora have been recorded in this protected area, including rhododendron forests, oak and pine forests. From the park you can see the Api and Saipal Himalayan ranges. Khaptad is great for spotting wildlife and birds, with 23 species of mammals and 287 types of birds. Mammal species symbolic of the park are leopard, Himalayan black bear, wild dog and musk deer. Bird species include the beautiful Impeyan pheasant (danphe; Nepal’s national bird), Peregrin falcon, the white rumped vulture and many types of partridges, flycatchers, bulbuls, cuckoos and eagles. Go into the wild and venture through thick forests, alpine landscapes and remote mountain villages which have seen very few tourists. This is a perfect trek for the adventurer looking for a real wilderness experience. The accommodation on this trek is a mix of camping and basic teahouses. In the winter season please check with a your travel agency if teahouses are open.
Day 1 Fly Kathmandu - Nepalgunj
Day 2 Flight Nepalgunj to Talcha Airport (2200 m) - walk or drive to Rara Lake (2990 m) 3 hrs
Day 3 Explore Rara Lake. Visit Murma Top, take a walk around the lake (13km) or explore some of the view points.
Day 4 Rara Lake (2990 m) - Sirkot (2041 m) 6 hrs
Day 5 Sirkot (2041 m) - Jholunge Pul (1400 m) 7 hrs
Day 6 Jholunge Pul (1400 m) - Kolti (1390 m) 7 hrs
Day 7 Kolti (1390 m) - Martadi (1591 m) 10 hrs
Day 8 Martadi (1591 m) - Dogadi (1490 m) 6 hrs
Day 9 Dogadi (1490 m) - Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) 8-9 hrs
Day 10 Explore Khaptad National Park and visit Khaptad Baba Ashram
Day 11 Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) - Bajhang (Tamail) 9 hrs
Day 12 Drive to Dhangadhi, 9 hrs
Day 13 Flight Dhangadhi- Kathmandu
01. Arrival & Departure : Airport transfers-Airport/Hotel/Airport
02. Hotel In Kathmandu: 3 nights hotel in Kathmandu with Bed & Breakfast.
03. Permit: Trekking permit fee of Rara and Dolpa region & National Park fee
04. Equipment: Trekking tents, Dining tent, Kitchen Tent, Toilet Tent, Table and chairs, Mattresses during the trekking & Peak climbing.
05. Food: Food for trekking & Peak climbing (Breakfast, lunch, dinner)
06. Staff: 1 Guide, 1 Cook, 1 Kitchen & necessary porters
07. Local transportation : Airport - Hotel - Airport
08. Flight Kathmandu : - Nepalgunj-Jumla and Dolpa-Nepalgunja-Kathmandu
09. Insurance:Trekking crews of insurance
10. Allowance: Trekking allowance, food allowance for trekking crews
01. Personal Expenses: Personal equipment for Trekking
02. Insurance : Personal Insurance for travel to Nepal
03. Lunch & Dinner: Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
04. Personal Expenses: Telephone,Internate, Laundry, any Alcoholic beverages,Personal equipment and shopping
05. (Tips) : Tipping
06. Extra Bills : Bar bills & Beverages
07. Tax: Departures taxes
TREKKING EQUIPMENT LIST
- Desert camp – 1
- Head lamp – 1 with 3 pair batteries
- Sun glass – 1
- Neck warmer – 1
- Fleece jacket – 1
- Water proof jacket -1
- Down Jacket -1
- Trekking pants – 2
- Water proof pants – 1
- Thermal coat – 2 set.
- Lightweight thermal gloves – 1 pair
- Warm fleece hat – 1
- Sleeping Bag rated to 0 Degree
- Small padlock to lock trek bag.
- Basic first aid kit.
- Daypack bag – 35 Ltr.
- Water Bottle – 1
- Small wash towel – 1
- Duggle Bag – 1 to put your things in during trekking.
- Trekking boots – 1 pair
- Sandal or walking shoes – 1 pear to put on while in camp.
- Required toiletries
- Socks for trekking and for warm one for camp.
- Shirts and T-shirt at your needs.
- Sun cream of 15 SPF – 1 piece